School Login
TEL. 888-745-NCMA     FAX. 772-353-5054

NCMA | National Certification Medical Association

Green Line

Proctors Needed

Test Structure

Test Taking

Preparing for and doing well on the NCMA exam are essential requirements on the road to becoming a successful healthcare provider. The skills needed for preparation and execution of multiple choice tests have lots to do with the day-to-day practice in your medical career.

 

Examination Structure

NCMA Competency test consists of 2 steps, which are designed to assess a challenger’s ability to apply a broad spectrum of knowledge, concepts, and clinical principles on the practitioner’s basic patient centered skills in which you will either achieve a passing or failing grade.

 

Multiple choice exam
Grade: Pass or Fail

NCMA exams are designed to test how well the examinee understands and applies basic clinical procedures and national standards to patient management in ambulatory and inside healthcare facility settings.

The results of the NCMA exams and psychometric item analyses are reported to the director of the academic institution. Examination serves the purpose of providing a common base for evaluation of all candidates for national credentials.

Approximately 75%-80% of the questions on the exam are in the one-best answer format. The rest 20%-25% of the questions are in the extended matching set format. Each set consists of list of lettered choices usually related to common subjects. For example: phlebotomy, EKG, cardiac anatomy, etc. There are usually about 1 or 2 questions corresponding to each matching set. Small number of matching questions in the exam will require you to pick more than one correct answer.

  

Strategies for Answering Matching Set:

1. Begin each set by reading through the option list to become familiar with the available responses.

2. Read each question carefully.

3. Same options may be used several times within one set, whereas other options may not be used at all.

4. Respond to each question independently.

5. For matching sets with large numbers of options try to generate an answer to question and then locate it in the option list.

6. If you cannot come up with an answer, read each option carefully and eliminate those that are clearly incorrect.

7. From remaining options, select the one appropriate.

8. If you are unsure follow your instinct and select the first choice that came to your mind. Unanswered questions are automatically counted as wrong answers.

 

Reading The Question

Questions are constructed that if you do not read them, you are most likely to get them wrong. Read the questions, understand them and always answer the question you know first.

Students are more likely to stop reading the question halfway down, the question writer can include key information at the last part of the question, knowing that many students will not get there. If you stop reading halfway through the question, you will often miss critical information.

So how should student approach long clinical case question?

Start with the notion that you are going to read and understand the question. Stop trying to find a way around reading the question, just read it! Time spent reading the question is time well spent.

 

Think As You Read

You should be figuring out the question as you read it. This means stop at every period and tell yourself what is going on. Summarize the question to that point and create an ongoing hypothesis that you can prove or disprove as you move down through the question.

 

Read The Last Line To Set Up Reading The Question

This is an effective strategy. However, if you read the question first and then the entire case you are most likely to skim through the case looking for one crucial piece of information to answer the question and may choose the wrong answer. Always read the case first and then the questions.

 

If You Find Yourself Short On Time, Use The Rule Of Three

Never pick an answer based on one piece of information. You must have three pieces of supporting information to be sure that you are on target, If you do find three pieces of information telling you the same thing, then you can feel very confident that you now understand what is going on.

 

Copyright © 2011 NCMA | Website by Pix-l Graphx.